Skip to main content

U.S.S. Enterprise Refit Restoration, Part 2

"THERE she IS!"

Above is the model of the Enterprise I built in 1992 –in the most basic way possible: I separated the parts from the sprues (but I didn't use clippers and I didn't sand down the burrs), I glued the pieces together (rather messily, with Testors little tube of glue), I painted a few key parts (using artist acrylics and a paint brush), and I applied the very few decals provided (using just warm water and who knows what to apply them; some slightly crooked and/or not accurately/precisely positioned).


While recently blogging about my past models (almost all built between 1992 and 1995) I felt a slight sense of remorse about not building them to their fullest potential (or at least cleaning up seam lines and gaps!). I do understand that this feeling is entirely hindsight based on my new knowledge and growing skills as a modeler, and I did have plenty of fun building them at the time (what other reason is there?), and I felt fairly satisfied with my results back then.

But, all the same, part of me kind of wants a bit of a do-over, somehow. I know I can build and detail all of these ships better now (maybe even install some lighting!) but I don't want to get new kits and build them all over again, and I can't really pull these ones all apart and rebuild them from scratch (despite the SPS motto). I just have to accept it and move on with new and different kinds of models (several of which have already been completed and several more are currently under way).

But this Enterprise is different. Her design is super iconic and the refit first seen in 1979's Star Trek: The Motion Picture is, in my opinion, even better than the original one from the '60s. With Star Trek's 50th anniversary coming up in September this year, I feel that restoring my model would be a nice way for me to celebrate one of my favourite series.

Meanwhile, the original 1960s studio model is undergoing its own restoration.

There's a whole host of aftermarket parts available for making this specific kit more accurate and easier to light, but those are mostly good if you're building this from scratch. I'm not at all opposed to aftermarket parts, but I just don't feel like chopping up this kit, despite its deficiencies. Being a restoration and not a refit of the refit, apart from a new set of (aftermarket) decals (this time making it the 1701 instead of the 1701-A), a new paint job, some sanding, brass and plastic reinforcements, and a new stand, this model will be almost entirely box stock.

Dismembered in drydock.

In my previous post there's a picture of the saucer section half attached to the neck, the glue having given way a bit over the decades. There, I doubted whether I should complete the separation to make my restoration easier, but, after looking closer at the model I realized it would benefit me if I broke it apart. There was only a tiny amount of bonded plastic transferred from the saucer to the very back of the neck. I'll be strongly reinforcing this whole joint later on.

Sanding test.

I initially planned to fill the weird brick-like texture (intended to simulate the "aztec" panel pattern which was painted onto, not scribed into, the refit) with Bondo and then sand it smooth, leaving only the deeper grid lines on the saucer and key panel lines on the engineering hull. That inspiration came from this series of videos, but I found a blog where the modeler was just sanding down the "bricks" because their scribing isn't as deep as the desired grid/panel lines. The result won't be as smooth, but it'll save me a step and a lot of work.

Sanding test.

My model's warp nacelles broke off not long (months? years?) after I built it, so it hasn't been on display since the mid-'90s, and that's bugged me for a long time, so, among much else, this restoration will finally allow me to display the ship –intact– once more. My plan is to install brass rods in the pylons and then into the engineering hull for support –I won't let them break off or droop this time!

Sanding comparison.

The far left tip of the nacelle is sanded, making that area look overexposed, but it's actually revealing the white plastic which had yellowed over the decades. I used a bunch of emery boards for the first pass over the nacelles, then moved to proper (150 grit) sandpaper for the rest of the ship.

Engineering hull.

It still looks pretty "bricky," but that's just because of the yellowing; after priming, painting, and decals, I think they'll barely be noticeable.

That square hole in the bottom was where the kit-provided stand fitted, but I'm going to use a brass rod for mounting on a nice base later on.

Saucer sanding comparison.

Here's another comparison of the sanded and unsanded hull. I had to be careful not to sand away the tiny phaser bumps (painted blue; three each, top and bottom) or the clear plastic navigation lights at the edges (also three each, top and bottom). The four triangular details on the edges of the photo are the Reaction Control Thrusters which the new decals will help define.

Saucer sanding comparison.

Here's a good look at the difference between the sanded and unsanded parts on the underside of the saucer, as well as the opening where the neck attaches. I'm glad I separated those because it's making the restoration much easier, allowing me to deal with one sub-assembly at a time without worrying about breaking things. I'll have to sand down or scratch off that orange-brown Testors glue residue at the opening if I want the new glue to adhere properly.

Sanded and filled...mostly.

Well, there she is after hours of gruelling sanding and not-so-gruelling seam/gap filling (and then some more sanding). I still need to do a bit more filling with the Bondo on the window joints around the outer wall of the saucer. So far, so good; I'm excited about this model again after more than two decades.

The next phase will be removal of the paint and then applying first coat of primer to make sure all my gaps are okay.








Comments

Dep1701 said…
Hi. If you haven’t already figured it out by this late date, I think I can help solve your mystery as to which version of the kit you assembled. On the close up of the saucer, you show clear navigation light inserts. These were added to the kit between the Star Trek V and Star Trek VI reissues. The was an in-between “Special Edition” with lights and sound version of the model which included LEDs and grain of wheat bulbs. The red and green LEDs went in as navigation lights and the grain of wheat bulbs went in as the other blinking lights in the saucer and the rear tips of the warp engines ( and as constant interior saucer lighting ). As a result, the molded on “lights” were drilled out to fit the bulbs. When it came time to reissue the kit to tie in with “The Undiscovered Country”, clear plugs were added to fit the holes where the lighting would have been ( they also included the Shuttlecraft again, which had NOT been included with the “Special Edition” ). Hope this helps.

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co

U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-D (1/1400 scale model)

Seven decades after Kirk. I'd been hooked on Star Trek since I was a wee lad in the 1970s, watching reruns of the original series from the '60s, and I enjoyed the movies that came out afterward. When a new series was announced to debut in 1987, I was excited and interested, even though I felt the subtitle "The Next Generation" was cheesy. Nearly 30 years later, I've definitely gotten used to it (but "TNG" is easier to say and type), but I still find it kinda bland. Anyway, the show had fresh new technology and a spanking new design for its main ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise , NCC-1701-D, now the flagship of the Federation. Andrew Probert 's design took some getting used to for me; it had the same basic elements of the original Enterprise  (saucer, neck, cylinder, and two cylindrical engines on pylons), but the shapes and volumes were distributed differently, weirdly. Everything looked squished and soft. The organic look of this new ship had me