Both sides complete.
It's curious the packaging has a photo of Han Solo holding his gun at an angle that doesn't give you an idea of how accurate (or inaccurate) this toy is compared to the filming prop (and, for a toy, it's actually fairly accurate). Also, the "DL-44" make designation came much later as Star Wars lore beyond the films began to grow (that's why the post title and cover graphic have different wording: I wanted to cover all the bases as far as the description of this thing goes).
Futuristic prop in high school play.
The story and my four-character adaptation were set in a vague near future, and I thought my toy blaster would work as a prop for my Major (on the right, played by Jen, wearing her riding boots and looking perfectly future military). This is one of only four pictures from the performance taken by my drama teacher (and I thank her since the only other record of this whole project is the poster and program I designed).
Drilling out the flash hider.
Battery cover cleanup.
I chose not to open up any part of the cover for accuracy; this was close enough and I wanted to do as little structural work as possible, keeping about 98% of the original design of the toy.
Hinky seam lines to address.
*by "improvements" I mean getting this closer to the look of the film prop in the first Star Wars movie.
After removing the masking tape, I airbrushed various shades of brown and orange to get a dark wooden look consistent with he prop. For added texture I used a bit of brown oil paint to complete the wood look, then used some silver paint on the "screws" on either side of the handle.
Trimming the foam.
Having found the perfect case for an elegant look, I needed to get some red velvet (what else?) and some foam. I bought half a metre of velvet from a fabric store (saving the extra bits for my next fancy display case) and I got some off-cuts that were the ideal size from Andrew McLuhan who uses foam in his upholstery business (The Cover Up). Thanks again, Andrew!
Tracing the blaster.
Adding a little bracing.
So far, so good...
The glue seemed like it would never dry but about 12-or-so hours later, it was good and cured and it was ready for wrapping the rest of the velvet around the back. There's some discolouration of the velvet where the glue seeped through which I might fix by airbrushing some red paint onto it.
As good as I had imagined.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Happiness is a cozy gun.
This customized display case was an unexpected but very worthwhile additional project for my Kenner toy upgrade, and it's a far more elegant and "warmer" solution than simply using a clear plastic box. My satisfaction with this whole project went from 10/10 to 11/10.