You can see the sequence above: original closed grill, then many tiny holes drilled with my pin vise, then more holes using a larger bit, then cleaning it up with a sharp blade and a file until...
The red hood.
So I made my best guess and scraped the paint away and used CA glue to attach the brackets. It worked to my satisfaction, but it was still mildly irritating since the other truck (at a smaller scale) had little indentations for the brackets. Anyway, I'll be doing lots of scratch-building, so I'd better get used to making these sorts of surface attachments.
Once all that is done, I'll take the truck out and go around town shooting it in various locations. Maybe I'll make another plaster base with some curb.
Until then, here are a couple of outside shots of both trucks (taken before the grill was finished on Version 1).
Finally! Licence plates!
I don't remember the actual plates of my uncle Kiro's truck/s, so I made this up (cheekily including his name). I built the graphic in Photoshop and then printed a bunch at Staples; simple colour laser copies, which I ten applied using superglue. I think they look great (the ones I managed to apply straight, anyway...).