Skip to main content

Anvil Monument


22" x 22", watercolour, 1999, private collection

Some time in the late spring or early summer of 1999 I got a call from a man identifying himself as "Rob Reiner" saying he was interested in having me do some artwork for his band's upcoming CD. It turned out it wasn't the "Rob" Reiner I was familiar with, but, in fact, "Robb" Reiner from the Toronto-based heavy metal band Anvil and the upcoming CD was their greatest hits package Anthology of Anvil. Now, I'm into all kinds of music –especially rock and pop– and have a knowledge or awareness of many bands whose music I don't personally own, even some obscure ones...but I had no idea who these guys were.

I can't remember how he said he found me or why he thought my art would suit a metal band's CD (this was when I was still only painting in watercolours), but I agreed to do the project (having done Squirm's Cold CD the year before) and met with them in their nearby practice studio in Scarborough (seriously: it was like a ten-minute drive from my house). During the very informal and brief time I spent with them discussing the cover concept, they seemed friendly and nice. I don't remember what was decided during that meeting, but one thing was certain: there had to be an anvil on the cover. They even let me borrow their mascot (an actual anvil) so I could take some reference photos and begin some sketches.

Monument.

The idea here was to illustrate a gigantic anvil monument dedicated to the band in an equally gigantic fancy park. Note the reflecting pool in the bottom right sketch.

On columns?

Okay, I don't get this, either; I was clearly still brainstorming.


The CD back.

The idea here is that the track listing of the CD would be listed as "engravings" on the base of the monument (you can see the "plaque" in the final painting).

Variations.

A different composition of a father taking his son to the monument and reading to him the list of songs (perhaps indicating his favourite one?). I included Canadian flags to help indicate this was a Canadian band. 

Materials test.

I wanted to see here what the monument would look like in stone and in bronze.

Base Deco.

That summer I was also working on designs for the poster (etc.) for Markham Youth Theatre's production of City of Angels, and a lot of my research into Art Deco spilled over into this project. I think this was a bit too much for the boys, so I simplified the designs for the final painting.

More Deco.

Simplified Art Deco designs plus some refinement of the monument grounds.

Aerial.

Even more refinement of the grounds with some Deco motifs on the base.

Changes.

Refined base design looks good from above, but way too chunky from the side. Plus, another option for showing the plaque on the back of the CD.

Another back variation.


Drafting!

Now, this one I liked quite a bit: the back of the CD would be a blueprint-type design showing the plans for the monument with the song list in the box.


Drafting refined.


Here's an even better arrangement of the "blueprint" elements.

I don't remember how much back and forth there was between me and the band, but, in the end, they liked my ideas and I produced the painting at the top of this blog, which they also liked. I kind of talked them into it by emphasizing how cool the juxtaposition was of a beautiful and delicate watercolour painting gracing the cover a heavy metal band's greatest hits CD. I gave them the painting and they paid me fairly, but I guess their management didn't like it (or they had a change of heart) and went with this cover instead:


Incidentally, back in 2008 I noticed that there was a documentary about these guys called The Story of Anvil which I thought would be interesting to watch when it came on video. I only thought about it again a few days ago when I was deciding my next blog post and finally watched the movie, thinking there was maybe a very tiny chance of seeing my painting in the background of a shot. I was actually quite shocked to see this:

Looks familiar...but...weird.

Here's Robb's commentary during that scene in the documentary:

"That, right there, it's just a monument of an anvil in a park. Look at the size of the people; so I made the scale like, like that's big! Right? You know, like the Egyptians had had; it's like a god, you know, 'the god is there!' Anyways, that's what I was thinkin'."


I'm not looking for anything other than accreditation, and, anyway, it may be a case where we [that is, the band and I] simply came up with the concept of an anvil monument together, and Robb can paint whatever he wants to that effect (and that's totally fine), but Robb's painting is clearly based on mine from 1999*.

Compare:
Milé Murtanovski, 1999

Robb Reiner (possibly also 1999)

Robb's painting (based on my painting) is featured in a 2013 calendar he's selling on his band's website, and here, his painting (based on my painting, but with a new, dramatic sky –and they fixed the wonky horizon by making the monument appear to be near a body of water on the left), graces another anthology of their music, released in 2011:


I wonder what the back of the CD looks like...





*Over on Robb's Facebook page for his artwork it says his painting's copyright 1999, but I'd done a dozen sketches based on my own reference photos of the borrowed anvil before painting my picture, so, even if we did come up with the idea together, I came up with the images first.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

City of Angels

17" x 11", watercolour and digital, 1999 Ah, City of Angels . I thought I was getting cool film noir but got a cheesy musical instead (Google it if you must). Still, it was fun to make the poster and associated images, mostly because the research consisted of watching real films noir and buying a great book on movie posters of the genre. I made tons of sketches and a few digital mock-ups. For the final poster above, I made three separate watercolour paintings (one of the couple and one each of the two black and white heads) and composited them in Photoshop, where I also added the text. In true movie poster fashion, I wanted the actors names to be the top two names, but I lost that battle and had to use the characters' names instead. It looks fine, but it implies that "Kingsley and Stone" are the lead actors in the show. Oh, well...it's only community theatre... By making the "angel" above half black and white and half colour, th

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co