Skip to main content

33 on 33 at Blizzmax

We've been driving around
From one end of this town to the other and back
But no one's ever seen us
Driving our Econoline van
And no one's ever heard of our band

–TMBG, "The Mesopotamians"


Stand by for action.

The opening of my 33 on 33 show at Blizzmax this past weekend was fantastic and lots of fun, with tons of my friends and regular Blizzmax patrons coming out to see the fruits of my madness: 13,200 square inches of Prince Edward County scenes –some recognizable, some obscure, but all genuinely interesting to me– are now finally on display in sequential order, along with a handy map to provide orientation and context. Each painting is available for purchase for $333.

Blizzmax is located at 3071 County Rd. 13, in South Bay (call ahead for hours: 613.476.7748). The show runs until 21 July.

Bearded...but not tired.

Since the completion of this project at the Glenora Ferry last Wednesday, people have been asking me if I've recovered from my marathon. Unlike my 100-ink-paintings-in-100-consecutive-hours-without-sleeping project last December, I didn't really consider this a marathon since I was painting continually for 33 days but not continuously. I got up early each day around 5am and usually arrived at my destination by 7 or 7:30 at which point I would paint, taking only the briefest of breaks, until the picture was done a few (ranging from 2-6) hours later. Then I went home –which is really the part that made this a non-marathon. I suppose if I were camping at each site and gradually making my way across the County without ever coming home, I would consider that a marathon. This was more like a casual stroll along a tightrope.

Fun.

Nothing gives me so much joy like the act of painting does, and one of the things I love to do with the things I love is to share them, and having such a great turnout for the reception on Saturday kept me smiling all night.

State of the art.

Thirty-three days came and went, in turns slow and quick, frustrating and rewarding, educational and weird, social and solitary, but always worthwhile: I stepped out of my studio and, thereby, out of my comfort zone; I learned something new each day whether it was about painting, about County history, or about myself. And now it's all becoming a blur as I prepare for my next painting adventure in the fall...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co

U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-D (1/1400 scale model)

Seven decades after Kirk. I'd been hooked on Star Trek since I was a wee lad in the 1970s, watching reruns of the original series from the '60s, and I enjoyed the movies that came out afterward. When a new series was announced to debut in 1987, I was excited and interested, even though I felt the subtitle "The Next Generation" was cheesy. Nearly 30 years later, I've definitely gotten used to it (but "TNG" is easier to say and type), but I still find it kinda bland. Anyway, the show had fresh new technology and a spanking new design for its main ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise , NCC-1701-D, now the flagship of the Federation. Andrew Probert 's design took some getting used to for me; it had the same basic elements of the original Enterprise  (saucer, neck, cylinder, and two cylindrical engines on pylons), but the shapes and volumes were distributed differently, weirdly. Everything looked squished and soft. The organic look of this new ship had me